I. Vocabulary and Structure (45 Points)
Choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
1. ______ when she started to cry.
A. Not until he arrived
B. Hardly had he arrived
C. Scarcely did he arrive
D. No sooner had he arrived
2. Lincoln is thought by many historians ______ a man of great vision.
A. to be be thought to be意思是“被认为是
C. having been
D. to have been
3. At present many a man ______ that automobiles are bringing more pollution than accidents.
A. are thinking
B. is thinking
4. Mark Twain, the great master of literature, ______ a lot of works of importance.
B. has written
C. had written
5. He went pale ______ the news.
6. It was good ______ him to help me.
7. The criminal stood in the court with his head ______, saying nothing.
D. lowered lower one’s head
8. Many retired workers are advised to ______ stamp collecting as a hobby.
A. pick up
B. take up pick up捡起来;take up从事;set up建立;follow up探究。
C. set up
D. follow up
9. An expert, together with some assistants, ______ to help in this work.
A. were sent
B. was sent
C. are sending
D. is sending
10. There came from the corner of the room a ______ sound of pain.
11. The essay ______ a very important argument.
A. cuts off
B. leaves off
C. leaves out：cut off切断(供应等);leave off停止;leave out省略，遗漏;
D. cuts short 缩减。
12. The new law will be ______ from next month.
A. in force付诸实施
B. in nature
C. in place
D. in practice实际上
13. Never would he ______ her because he loves her so much.
14. The poor new comer could not ______ of what the manager said.
A. make out辨认出
C. make sense理解，弄清楚
D. guess out猜出
15. The enemy ______ him to make him let out the secrets of the Party.
B. asked require, ask要求
C. tortured 折磨
D. insisted 坚持
16. I suddenly realized he stepped on my toe ______ to take his revenge.
A. by chance偶然
B. on purpose = intentionally故意地
C. on intention
D. by himself
17. Lu Xun’s ______ interest in medicine was later replaced by that in literature.
18. Tom was unable to ______ a way to solve the mathematic problem.
A. fill out填写
B. make out辨认
C. come out
D. figure out猜出，想出
19. The patient was told that he had ______ of lung cancer.
20. Every year, Japanese ______ large amounts of fish and other sea-food.