1. He offered to _____ her a hand as the suitcase was too heavy for her to carry.
2. The textbook is for the _______ students, not for the beginners.
3. A sudden idea _____ to him that he might try the new method.
C. took place
D. took part
4. We tried to _____ what he meant.
A. make for
B. make out
C. make of
D. make from
5. Although the weather was very bad, the buses still ran on _____.
6. I should like to _____ touch with old friends but I have so little time.
A. get into
B. be in
C. keep in
7. Though he was born and brought up in America, he can speak _____ Chinese.
8. As it _____, the elderly lady she quarreled with was none other than her future mother-in-law.
A. turned out
B. turned down
C. turned up
D. turned on
9. Don’t drop your cigarette butts on the floor. You could _____ fire to the house.
10. The _____ from the forest fire could be seen ten miles away.
11. Whenever anything ______ happens, a crowd of people is certain to gather.
12. Jack is the _____ holder of the world 5000-meter race world record, but there is no guarantee that he will win the first place in the coming Olympic Games.
13. “Here is the money I promised,” he said. “I always _____ promises.”
14. It was a minor illness, and she soon _____ it.
A. got over
B. got on with
C. got around
D. got out
15. The car was repaired but not quite to the owner's _____.
16. This is the military ______ , and nobody is allowed to get in without permission.
17. If you don't think it necessary to make _____ any missed lessons, speak up now.
A. up for
B. up with
C. up to
D. away for
18. If you want to see the chairman of the department, you’d better make an ______ with him first.
19. It is highly desirable that a new president _____ to this university.
B. be appointed
C. was appointed
D. has been appointed
20. A meeting of the society will be _____ at six o'clock on Tuesday evening.
21. In ______ recent years, Niagara Falls have come to be appreciated more for their natural beauty as _______ wonder of nature.
A. the; a
B. the; the
C. /; the
D. /; a
22. ________ such circumstances, one can only fight back.
23. By the end of next month he ________ everything in school.
A. will finish
B. would finished
D. will have finished
24. I heard that he _________ great progress in his research since we last parted.
A. had made
C. has made
25. Why do you worry so much _______ your health? I think you are all right.
26. I need one more stamp before my collection ________.
A. is completed
C. has been completed
D. has completed
27. Dave ________ into the house without ________ out by his parents.
A. slipped; finding
B. slips; finding
C. slips; to be found
D. slipped; being found
28. What is the reason for _______ on time?
A. not your coming
B. you not come
C. your not coming
D. you not to come
29. Our English teacher demanded that we _______ to English broadcast every day.
B. would listen
D. could listen
30. Was it until the1990s _______ the old man finally got a house of his own?
31. Sally has failed again. I think she _____ harder.
A. ought have studied
B. ought to have studied
C. must have studied
D. may have studied
32. ” I don’t drink coffee at all. “ “ __________.”
A. So don’t I
B. I do either
C. Nor I do
D. Neither do I
33. It’s not my fault. I have ______ the matter .
A. nothing to do with
B. something to do with
C. anything to do with
D. everything to do with
34. Michael used to look hurt and surprised when _________.
B. to criticize
C. having criticized
35. We started out early in order that we _________ there in time.
A. would get
B. ought get
C. should get
D. had to get