I. Vocabulary and Structure (45 Points)
Choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
1. She is very particular ______ food and clothes.
D. about be particular about是固定词组，意思是“挑剔”。
2. Five thousand pounds ______ too unreasonable a price for that second-hand car.
3. A solid is different from a liquid ______ the solid has definite shape.
A. in that
B. in which
C. in what
D. because of which
4. I want some coffee, but there was ______ in the pot.
5. The doctor sent him to bed, saying he was much ______.
A. too ill
B. very ill
C. ill enough
6. ______ all his friends agree, he was warm-hearted, obliging and generous.
A. Now that
B. Even if
7. I always prefer starting early, ______ leaving everything to the last minute.
A. other than
B. fairly than
C. rather than
D. less than
8. He was the only one of the candidates who ______ able to carry out his campaign pledge.
A. have been
B. has been
9. They have to learn from their mistakes, ______?
A. don’t they
B. oughtn’t they
C. haven’t they
D. mustn’t they
10. Neither the chairman nor the members of the committee ______ his plan.
C. is accepted
D. are accepted
11. George had difficulty swimming across the lake, but he finally succeeded on his fourth ______.
12. I know I have seen that man before, but I can’t _______ where.
13. In this hot weather the ice will soon _______.
14. Mary wanted to go to New York herself, but her parents would not give their ________.
15. I sometimes take John’s coat instead of my own, because the two of them look so ________.
16. Great men often have great ________.
17. In the bitter cold, the explorers managed to ________ despite the shortage of food.
18. The _______ of new scientific discoveries to industrial production methods usually makes job easier to do.
19. Color-blind people often find it difficult to _______ between blue and green.
20. He’s been working too hard and he’s ________. He needs a rest.
A. broken apart
B. run over轧过，快速浏览
C. broken out爆发
D. run down